Art Collecting Today - Now Available in Paperback
Whether a seasoned collector, an uninitiated newcomer, or an art-world insider, readers will learn how the art marketplace works in practice and how to navigate it smartly. Those who may have been put off by opaque art world practices will finally feel they have the knowledge needed to participate confidently. Collectors will be able to pursue their passion with more confidence.
Readers will learn about the realities of the art marketplace, covering such important topics as:
- How to evaluate, buy, and sell art while avoiding costly mistakes and time-consuming roadblocks
- How the market works in practice for essential artists like Rene Magritte, Christopher Wool, Amedeo Modigliani, and Yayoi Kusama
- How collectors can be taken advantage of, and the actions they should take to protect themselves
- Why tax laws in the United States reward ‘art investors’ yet penalize ‘art collectors’
- How cultural property laws impact the market for works by such artists as Frida Kahlo and Andy Warhol
Informed by close to 100 interviews with collectors, lawyers, art advisors, gallerists, and auction specialists in the United States and Europe, and the author’s own experiences, the book offers a lively and thought-provoking analysis of the day-to-day workings at play throughout the fine art marketplace.
PRAISE FOR ART COLLECTING TODAY
"Mr. Woodham’s book is an elegant, amusing and perceptive guide to a market that is (often) long on hocus-pocus and short on transparency."
“Doug Woodham’s introduction to the market is both insightful and accessible.”
“Mr. Woodham’s book contains startling information about the number of people in the market for the world’s most expensive art.”